Skip to main content

Mirror Folk


A beautiful and sunlit path, trees on either side, all of which is reflected in a puddle.

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash

October 24:

Do you wanna see something cool. Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond.

Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass. 

Lastly, you must never forget;

Don't go alone

Don't go at night

You might have a fright

If you choose to stay the night


This dream reminds me of a story I heard about creatures called "the Fauna of Mirrors." They are described in a book written in 1957 by Jorge Luis Borges and Margarita Guerrero called "the Book of Imaginary Beings." The Fauna of Mirrors is claimed to be a race of beings bound by the Yellow Emperor, Huang Di, after these mirror creatures launched a surprise invasion against humanity. Huang Di overcame the mirror people and bound them away with a seal that would not last forever. When the glint of glass is gone, and the sound of clanging metal begins to echo from mirrors hanging carelessly on our walls, the second invasion will begin.


The obscured image of a person pressed up against a mirror

Photo by Stefano Pollio on Unsplash


Citations:

Peretti, Daniel. “French Sources of Mystery.” A Job for Superman, Daniel Peretti, 10 May 2017, ajobforsuperman.blogspot.com/search/label/borges.

Simen. “The Fauna of Mirrors, by Borges.” Enthusiasms Blog, Enthusiasms, enthusiasms.org/post/1377639935?fbclid=IwAR1VphcCbQYHolGcVVvzvCf_e6W2ZbN6utUCOnALQIiVW47rVuE1jCU1O-E.

Viva. “MIRROR MYTHS – CHINESE FAUNA OF MIRRORS.” Mirrorworld Blog, Mirrorworld, 4 Sept. 2018, www.mirrorworld.co.uk/news/index.php/chinese-mirror-myths/?fbclid=IwAR3-WFZBRqX4jUNkcr5IjI48yobZrYonbPGUq_TQMfr-iW4lNnyB5IgFwbM.

Comments

  1. Always knew my reflection was up to no good.😒 If that second invasion begins, I'm running to the shadows maybe that will be safer 😂.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Ad Nauseam

  Photo by Robert Anasch on Unsplash July 17, dream In this dream, I had seen a pyramid that was said to be asleep. However, its slumber was disturbed due to the presence of a young man. "When you're awake, this place feels more sadistic." A soldier spoke these words to the young man, which were true. The trees would move within the space of the pyramid that stood within an immense pyramid. In this place, the military was present and looking for Hypnogogic runes. These spells granted one the power of Unas, the God eater. For the one who found them, he would devour all the gods. There was a room I found myself in; runes were etched into the wall of a secret room. Each one was surrounded by blue lightning and set on a nearby wall. The pyramid had made its choice, and its power would be mine. Simultaneously, two friends of mine were getting married in this same pyramid. I was in attendance at both weddings and was wanting to congratulate my friends, but I was torn. My lust ...