Skip to main content

Úlfhéðnar


A lone wolf with amber eyes

Photo by Chris Ensminger on Unsplash


October 18: Nap Dream;

I was getting ready to say goodbye to some family friends. We decided to play a game before we said our goodbyes. This was similar to the game tag; however, two people were "it" and not just one. I decided to use a secret technique to win the game. I got down on all fours like an animal, and the game began. My friend looked at me and said something like, "You will be both?" Everything slowed down as I charged forward; it all felt like it was happening in slow motion. My body moved with incredible agility and superhuman dexterity. The dream ended where I had backflipped just out of reach of someone else that had nearly caught me, and I was smiling.


In many dreams before this one, to become animalistic was often the solution to my problems. A loud roar that thundered from somewhere deep within would signal various stages of my transformation, and my humanity would slowly fade away. This was the first time I ever did something like this for fun.


As a beast, I was unrestrained, angry, fearful, and unbreakable. I would physically tear people in many dreams in half; I would pull the limbs off of ghosts with my teeth and swallow them whole. At my absolute worst, I could level city blocks with a pound of my fist. I often faced down demons or giants while blessed by God with this all-consuming rage.


The best word to describe what happened in these dreams would have to be "Úlfhéðnar." The Úlfhéðnar, wolf-skinned, are berserker warriors that take after wolves and not bears. These Warriors were known for their fierce trance-like rage and their seemingly supernatural feats of strength. They were said to howl and or growl like animals, foaming at the mouth as they fought in their frenzied state. In my waking mind, I never understood why He would make me such a monster to overcome my demons.


However, I think I understand it now. The monster was the side of me. I was too afraid to express. It was my voice; that is to say, it was my thoughts and opinions. All of me that I had bound deep inside was spilling out, and that scared me. Anger was originally my motivator for me to express myself, but not anymore. I don't need to be angry to speak my mind. I have learned that I can express my opinion/feelings at any time, and if people don't like it, then that's fine. I like this dream. It was fun.


Citations:

Gillan, Joanna. “Viking Berserkers – Fierce Warriors or Drug-Fuelled Madmen?” Ancient Origins, Ancient Origins, 26 May 2019, 22:57, www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/viking-berserkers-fierce-warriors-or-drug-fuelled-madmen-001472.

McCoy, Daniel. “Berserkers and Other Shamanic Warriors.” Norse Mythology for Smart People, norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/others/berserkers-and-other-shamanic-warriors/.

Wade, Jenny. “Battle Trance & War Magic.” Of Wolf and Man, Of Wolf and Man, 28 Oct. 2018, ofwolfandmanbook.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/battle-trance-war-magic/.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Ad Nauseam

  Photo by Robert Anasch on Unsplash July 17, dream In this dream, I had seen a pyramid that was said to be asleep. However, its slumber was disturbed due to the presence of a young man. "When you're awake, this place feels more sadistic." A soldier spoke these words to the young man, which were true. The trees would move within the space of the pyramid that stood within an immense pyramid. In this place, the military was present and looking for Hypnogogic runes. These spells granted one the power of Unas, the God eater. For the one who found them, he would devour all the gods. There was a room I found myself in; runes were etched into the wall of a secret room. Each one was surrounded by blue lightning and set on a nearby wall. The pyramid had made its choice, and its power would be mine. Simultaneously, two friends of mine were getting married in this same pyramid. I was in attendance at both weddings and was wanting to congratulate my friends, but I was torn. My lust ...