Skip to main content

Imitation Game

A man leaves his hometown to fight in a war, temporarily leaving behind his wife, son, and the family dog - all for the good of his people, in response to the call of his king. As fate would have it, while he was gone, his wife and son died in a mysterious accident. When word had reached him, he was filled with grief. The king, showing mercy, permitted him to return home to mourn his family.

However, upon returning home, he was greeted by the warmth of a fire coming from the fireplace, and appearing before him was the face of his son. The man’s grief had been overcome with relief, even if only for a moment. In this first encounter, his son's face was pale and covered with mud. The man’s canine companion was there beside what looked like his son, and the dog's face was full of fear and concern. It only took him a day to understand the look he had been gazing at his son with and the growls that escaped his jaws at the strange boy’s approach.

It looks like him, but it is not. It hugs like he did, but it lacks the warmth. The strange boy is adored, and despite the flaws in it’s facade, the man pretends to believe it.

It stumbles like a newborn babe during the day and blinks with only one eye at a time. It never laughs or smiles; it only observes intently. In the night, it watches as they lay down, it’s back brushing the ceiling of the room. They know it’s there, and it knows that they know. The man and his dog are exhausted by the facade, and the exhaustion gets heavier each night. Early in the morning, he hears it practicing his voice, and in the evening, he sees it modeling his bow.

"Your highness,"; it says, "may I have a moment of your time." It bows low and dignified; its imitation is nearly perfect, just nearly.

With each passing day, it only gets better, and with each night, it creeps a bit closer.


Edited by my friend, Midnight Philosopher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...