Skip to main content

Diamonds in the Desert


The artwork is provided by Isabella Baker


2020, November 15, 

This dream told the story of an African king that was very wealthy; however, the people in his domain were destitute. Feeling pity for his subjects, the king took the entirety of his wealth, in the form of diamonds, and had it buried in a desert. So vast was his wealth that the entire nation was able to live without fear for a year on whatever they were able to dig up. The following year, fewer people returned to the desert, where much of the king's riches remained buried beneath the sand.


A documentary crew followed the story of a people who continued to sift the desert sands for diamonds and thus could make a living for themselves. However, their search was not limited to the desert; anywhere they went became a place worth checking for the valuable lumps of carbon. In this way, I learned a valuable lesson. So true is the old adage, "If you give a man a fish, you feed a man for a day; if you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." This quote comes from a book called Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.


The reality, however, is a bit more complex. One man that learns to fish may fish for a day, whereas another man who learns to fish may fish for a lifetime. Both received the same lesson. One is satisfied with a life of fishing; one is not. One is satisfied with a life of digging; one is not. Thus the king's generosity is not waisted for the one that keeps digging, and it is available for the one that stops. Neither is wrong, and there are consequences for both.


It is the glory of God to conceal a matter and the glory of kings to search it out, Proverbs 25:2. How rich is the wilderness that we find ourselves in? What lies beneath the surface of these shifting sands? Are we satisfied with what we have uncovered? For the one who is not satisfied, the wilderness is far from empty.



A woman sitting in a desert


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...