Skip to main content

Vox Populi



September 6,

In my dream, a controversial story came across the news, apparently, an anchorman was found to have markings of a right ring political group. I have the feeling it was a red circle on the back of his left shoulder with an "R" or some symbol inside the circle. Members would use this to get access to group meetings I believe. This was quite scandalous in this dream for some reason.

Once I awoke, dream logic plagued my mind. From this state of corruption, I began to write everything you are about to read below. 

"Shouldn't news people take a more objective approach to their personal lives and not one leaning either right or left. The reason being, if they are objective and produce objective news then they can truly call themselves objective reporters. However, to create true objectivity we must create objectivity (you heard that right), and this is our dilemma. To have objective media we must have objective media already, neither of which seems to exist. Thus it is far too late for us to expect objective news when what we have grown up on has always been biased. 

If this is true, then true objectivity is lost, and this would seem harmful to the public. Would it then be right to assume that the media itself is a tool for the public for as long as they are acting as the voice, eyes, and ears of the populace? If true, then shouldn't the media be asked to speak in a way that does not support any political party over another. We as a nation trust them with our voice, but so many of us are not heard. Dividing to cover differing perspectives does seem to make sense, however, once one begins to divide, when does it stop. Then we also face biases within each subset of political divisions that seem to ignore the flaws in their own logic whenever they present themselves.

Regarding objectivity, I am reminded of the chicken or the egg dilemma. One might ask, "Which do you think came first, the chicken or the egg?" My response, yes. Objectivity would seem circular in that same sense. To have true objectivity, true objectivity must exist already. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...