Skip to main content

Drifting God

September 06, 2020


Where does God go when we need Him?


Let’s dive into the Biblical text to glean some understanding about this.


Genesis 3: After Adam and Eve ate from the “Tree of Knowledge” and made clothes to cover themselves, God stepped on the scene. He passed through the Garden looking for them. Where He was is never mentioned. However, where He was going is highlighted here for us. He was looking for mankind, and we hid. What would have happened if they waited for God to come and look for them?


Genesis 20:1-18 - this is where Abraham lied about his wife's identity for fear of his own life.

She was then taken from him by the king, Abimelech. God confronted the king to keep him from Abraham’s wife. God was not just watching silently, and the King was given a choice to make. He knew God and submitted to His authority, unlike some of the examples to come. 


King David would find himself in a similar situation, and though Biblical law is clear about not sleeping with another man’s wife, he did so anyway. God would later confront him about it and bring

His judgment over the house of David. God decides how He should react to our choices.


Pardon me while I diverge for a moment, but I find it funny how in Exodus 33:5, God was so

indignant toward Israel that He said, "take off your ornaments, that I may decide what to do with you."

How do mere mortals infuriate a God so much He has to stop and think about His next move? Like, how?


I digress.


1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful,

and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation, he will also provide the

way of escape that you may be able to endure it. 


Judges 2:10-23 - The book begins with Israel turning away from God, worshiping idols as per-usual,

and choosing the curses mentioned in the covenant. Judges 6:13, when God stepped back because of their unfaithfulness, it is common for mankind to accuse God of being unfaithful.


Acts 8:1-3, Saul caused great havoc to the early church, and they scattered, preaching the gospel where they went and converted many souls. Acts 9:1-2 Saul was on his way to continue his proud persecution of the church, but in chapter 9, verse 3, God confronted him, and from that moment onward, he had a choice to make. Saul (who was later referred to as “Paul”) chose God, and God would use Him mightily. 


These are just a few examples of a powerful point that can be made about God’s place in our suffering, which is clearly displayed throughout scripture. God does not just reach out to the abused, but also to the abuser. God does not ignore either one and is shown repeatedly to approach the abuser before they have even done anything at all (i.e., Cain in Genesis chapter 4).


That voice saying, “don't.” That feeling that said, “this is wrong,” comes from God. We should ask

ourselves, “when God calls me to move, am I willing to do so?” This relationship is not one-sided, so why is it so common to hold Him to unequal relational standards. Where was mankind when God said’

“Don’t touch this one thing; it won’t be good for you”? Why must God answer all of our prayers and requests while we ignore His? Where are we when God calls us or asks us to do something? For example, as Christians, we are called to love people and not to judge. We have this command from

God, and there is no room for excuses. Either we are practicing Christ-likeness, or we are not. We, as Christians, do not have the permission to reject, judge, or condemn people.


However, there is always grace. After Cain killed Abel, God showed up and decided to bring justice on his behalf against Cain, but at the same time, God was showing Cain mercy. Cain was afraid for his

life, so God responded by sealing a promise into his skin, stating, "If anybody kills you, there will

be serious consequences." Cain, the killer, was under the Lord’s protection. Deuteronomy 32 is known

as "the song of Moses." God knew Israel would not be faithful, and so He wrote a song about the coming years of their unfaithful relationship to Him; despite this, He stayed. He was faithful to His friend, Abraham. According to the law, King David could have been killed, but God gave Him mercy instead of death. All this to say that God still has grace for us even when we mess up.

We may not have excuses, but we have grace.


I know that I am not always patient with God. I treat Him as if every good and bad thing that happens in my life is directly His fault. I also fail to always act responsibly - I don't always listen to Him or others,

and sometimes I fail to think about the consequences of my actions. I, as a follower of Christ, must learn to be patient with God and take personal responsibility for my actions and their consequences.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...