Skip to main content

Black & White

A big thanks to my friend Shellie Summers for the artwork!

August 29


I debated for several days about posting this dream. I was so conflicted about it that in my dream last
night, I was confronted by my dad who told me to go ahead and post it - so I will. In this incredibly
short dream, I was listening to a woman who was visibly upset and venting her frustration to me in
regards to her ethnic Identity. She looked white, but she was black. Her frustration was centered around
a conversation she had with an African-American man who denied her African heritage due to her white
skin tone. After lending her my ear in a random grocery store, I found myself shocked to hear that she
was black, "Was she speaking about the ‘one-drop rule’ or something?" Of course, I am pretty sure she
was not talking about the one-drop rule.

Dream Sequence Over: 

From a waking perspective, this made no sense. I have many cousins that look totally white despite
having African-American ancestry or an African-American parent. I think the confusion was birthed
from the perspective that brown skin is a dominant genetic trait, whether this is true or not I don't know,
but it is obviously not true in every case. 

Recently my parents took a DNA test, and the results somewhat surprised me. Both of my parents have
Native American and European ancestry (something we already knew). On my dad's side, we saw European
ancestry, again, something we already knew. On my mom’s side, however, we saw not only European ancestry,
but we also saw Native American ancestry.

Maybe this is why I randomly have super long straight hair sticking over and above my afro. I love it because
it makes me laugh when I find them and I like to go and show them off. Maybe this is why my mom has such
a unique skin tone (I like to say she has a golden skin color). I am definitely gonna be looking for other Non-
African traits and see if I am displaying any others. As common as this level of genetic diversity is in a place like
America, why are we as individuals expected to embrace the cultural identity of whatever racial
characteristics we most prominently display? I am proud to have a mixed heritage.
One plus one does not equal black, one plus one equals me.

Editing for this post is courtesy of my friend Midnight Philosopher over at https://www.lionsandworms.com/?m=1.

Here are a few other dreams circulated around the topic of race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...