Skip to main content

Sleeping Giants

6 Nephilim behind iron bars looking out over a desert wherein a titanic monster looks back

The artwork is provided by Isabella Baker


August 26

In last night's dream, I found myself standing around an unnaturally deep pit in the backyard of a house. This pit looked completely bottomless. Somewhere far below was a being known as "the Wandering Mountain," my dream informed me. The image of a desert in the middle of a sandstorm came to mind; a huge mountain dominated the horizon. The mountain was moving slowly away; it was alive, it was sleeping, yet it was walking. This was only one of many that were down in this pit.


Soon my body followed my mind into the pit where I found myself face to face with Nephilim, as they were servants of the Sleeping Mountain. There were maybe 25 Nephilim in all; they looked like tall hairy men with long white beards. A gate separated them from the mountain, and though it was sleeping, the mountain approached our tiny cage like a shark sniffing out hidden prey. By conjuring a human form, the mountain began to walk among us. I do not remember what it said, wish I could, but it spoke its intentions softly into the minds of its servants. It was waking up and seeking to leave the pit.


The Wandering Mountain image might bring to mind the Lovecraftian horror genre, one of my personal favorites. In Lovecraftian horror, to see the gods would drive one insane, whereas in the bible, to see God's face would cost one their very life. All this to say, maybe the sense of awe they inspire could consist of some amalgamation of terror and wonder meshed together in a surprisingly seductive manner. Maybe this is why some of us so obsessively study biblical and non-biblical text. To read the writings of men is to see God at a distance; to read God's writings is nigh akin to seeing Him face to face, and the more you see, the more you desire to see. In this way, I am beautifully afflicted.

Comments

  1. totally afflicted. an interesting premise to be sure. Cool dream, excited to see whats next on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...