Skip to main content

The Covenant

The cultural language of the bible can be partly deduced through the covenant that God made with Israel and their forefathers. I say partly because much of Israel's behavior was also heavily influenced by neighboring people groups within the land around them. This is why Israel at times practiced polytheism in place of the covenant that they had been given. The book of Exodus, Judges, and Hosea are great examples of this cultural back and forth that is prevalent in Israel's history.


Ruth, the widow/foreigner, is a great pair of eyes to use in order to witness the covenant they were given. In Ruth 1:19-22, scripture say to love the foreigner as your own and do them no wrong as you yourselves know what it is like to have been foreigners, Exodus 12:49, Exodus 22:21-24, Exodus 23:9, Leviticus 19:33-34 and Deuteronomy 10:18-19. Ruth 2:1-7,8-19; leave food behind for the poor or the foreigner in your land, Leviticus 23:22, and Ruth was both. If you take a deeper dive into the law it will become obvious that everything Boaz did for Ruth, including his marriage to her, was his act of obedience to covenant laws.


In the New Testament, Jesus sums up the Law for us with ease. In Luke 10:25-28, an expert in the law rises up to test Jesus by asking, “What must I do to inherit eternal life.” Jesus responds by saying, “what do you understand/perceive the law to say.” The man answers by saying that the law says to love God and to love others as you love yourself, to which Jesus replies, “Go, do this, and you will live.” The 10 commandments are a great summation of this aspect of the law. The first 4 of the 10 commandments are for how humans should interact with God so as to respect and Exalt Him. The next 6 commandments are the basics for how people should treat one another, and so the simplicity of the law is this, Love your God and your neighbor as you love yourself. This is the cultural attitude that Israel was meant to adopt from their sponsor, God.


The expert goes on to ask, “Who is my neighbor?” and Jesus tells a story to answer this completely legitimate question. (Luke 10:29-37). A man is robbed and beaten near to death on his way to Jericho from Jerusalem. A priest passing by along the same road sees him and avoids him, so does a Levite traveling the same road. A Samaritan walking the same path sees the injured man and takes immediate action. He bandages his wounds, puts him on his donkey and brings him to an inn, and continues to care for him. He then pays the innkeeper a sum of money and says, please take care of him until I return, and whatever extra cost might be procured, I shall cover on that day I will return. Who is that man's neighbor? The one who showed mercy to the man was his neighbor. Luke 10:36-37. The person does not have to be your physical neighbor, and then Jesus says, “Go and do likewise.”  This is how God intended Israel to interact with others because of their relationship with Him.


The beauty of this is that the Law becomes the culture, and the culture becomes second nature to us as it is passed down through the generations. The issue is that all cultures are passed down in like manner, and when one is carrying two opposing cultures, they are forced to pick between one and commit or flip between them. The flipping does not seem to last as cultures tend to just blend into each other, which is seen in Israel's lives throughout the bible. At different times they adopted and or expressed different cultural behaviors. Human sacrifice, choosing a human king, worshiping other gods, as their neighbors had done, and taught them to do through their relationship. All this to say, know the law, so you know from which culture or relationship Israel is being inspired to move. The likely sources are God or man.


For me in the modern-day, I carry with me several cultures from which and through which I see the world. My Afro-American culture, my AirForce-Brat culture, My Black Jew culture (cult), my Christian culture, my economic class culture, and much more. At the end of the day, my relationship with God should be one in which all of these others are superseded.


P.S. I feel like I have been rambling tonight. I know what I was thinking, not sure how well I expressed it, haha. Anyways, thank you for reading this (thankful face emoji).



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preferred Prey

Photo by Dan Dennis on Unsplash December 4, 2020 In this dream, I was watching a tv show. A were-cat (not to be confused with a werewolf) was living on his own in a post-apocalyptic world. I shall call him "Prey." As he walked, he found himself upon an elevated plain where another were-cat appeared that I shall call "Hunter."  Hunter saw Prey, and both men responded to each other by shifting from human form into a semi-human form with long tails and spotted fur, like cheetahs or jaguars. A 70mph chase ensued across the plateau with Hunter in hot pursuit. Because both were running at the same speed, this was not a chase that would end quickly.  Both men had limited stamina, just like actual big cats. Eventually, the chase came to an end when their energy ran out. Hunter proposed a truce because they found themselves surrounded by trees (bear territory) and it would be safer if they stuck together. Both agreed to this plan, and they began journeying out of the fores...

False Awakenings

Art is courtesy of my friend, Shellie Summers. Thank you, Shellie! Lately, my dreams have been filled with werewolves, vampires, necromancers, and other monsters.  The fights are full of magic and are incredible to behold. However, I have not learned anything of value from them. Unless, of course, one is looking to find a way to keep a vampire from killing you.  I don't think knowing that using light magic as a possible weapon instead of dark magic (also called filth) would be of any use to anyone in real life. Thats why today I have decided to post about a dream I had some time ago that I think back to every once in a while. ”Some time ago” is short for "I can't remember when, but I know it was likely this month or last month." I have forgotten most of this dream, but I do remember the most significant part to me. In the sky was a gigantic sphere; inside that sphere was another Earth that I was constructing with awesome power. However, as the new world grew bigger, o...

Mirror Folk

Photo by Casey Horner on Unsplash October 24 : Do you wanna see something cool.  Go into your closet and under a shelf (preferably empty and across from the door), push against the wall, and then past it. Push forward until you find yourself facing another shelf, and you're almost there. The resonate hum of glass will signal the success of ones crossing the threshold between our worlds. Should you choose to keep going, you will find yourself facing the closet door that you entered, step through it and see for yourself that which lies beyond. Firstly, one might notice that everything looks the same. They that live here will look just like those they imitate. There is one flaw in their trick, they are polar opposite to those they imitate. Be sure to stop by on a rainy day to marvel at the sight of rainbows that bend in unnatural ways and in an order reversed from those beyond this world of glass.  Lastly, you must never forget; Don't go alone Don't go at night You might hav...